Importer Identification Number (Angka Pengenal Importir or API) constitutes identification those importers must posses in order to import goods. API is used by the government as an instrument to regulate orderly importation for the purpose of implementing the foreign trade policy in the field of imports.
Importation without API can only be done after obtaining approval from Minister of Trade of the Republic of Indonesia and only for goods such as:
- Simple imported goods.
- Promotional items.
- Goods for the purpose of science research and development.
- Shipment goods.
- Goods as grants, gifts, or gifts for the purpose of public worship, charity, social, cultural, or natural disaster interests.
- Goods which are medicines and medical equipment that is using government budget.
- Goods which have been exported for repair and testing, and then was imported back in amounts which are not exceed the amount at the time of they were being export in accordance with the Notification of Export Goods (Pemberitahuan Ekspor Barang).
- Exports of goods declined by buyers abroad and then imported back with the most number according to Notification of Export Goods.
- Sample goods that are not for sale.
- Goods for the purposes of government institutions or agencies that is imported by the agency or institution in question itself.
- Goods which are belong to the representatives of foreign countries and their officers who served in Indonesia.
- Goods for the purposes of international agency and their officials assigned in Indonesia.
- Moving goods.
API consists of the following types:
- API for General Importer (API-U), which should be obtained by a trading company.
- API for Producer Importer (API-P), which should be obtained by an industrial company importing raw materials and capital goods for its own use.
API can be obtained from BKPM OSS-C. The API is valid for 5 years and can be extended. It is applicable to the entire Indonesian customs area.